Friday, January 8, 2010

David Dooley



In Better Hands
Natalie Grant
It's hard to stand on shifting sand
It's hard to shine in the shadows of the night
You can't be free if you don't reach for help
You cant love if you dont love yourself

There is hope when my faith runs out
Cause I'm in better hands now

It's like the sun is shining when the rain is pouring down
It's like my soul is flying though my feet are on the ground
So take this heart of mine there's no doubt
I'm in better hands now

I am strong all because of you
I stand in awe of every mountain that you move
Oh I am changed, yesterday is gone
I am safe from this moment on

There's no fear when the night comes 'round
I'm in better hands now

It's like the sun is shining when the rain is pouring down
It's like my soul is flying though my feet are on the ground
So take this heart of mine there's no doubt
I'm in better hands now



I found myself mourning the death of a friend on January 4, 2010.  David Dooley was Born on May 16, 1918.  He was a hard man with a soft core.  Not many people had the privilege of seeing his soft side but I was one of the few.  I met Mr. Dooley when I started working for Freedom Motors almost three years ago.  This man would come into my office and talk.  I would listen with open ears.  The one thing that broke my heart about him was the grip he was losing on life.  He wanted to Go so bad.  One of the things he repeatedly said was "God is punishing me for all the bad things I guess by keeping me here this long."  "You don't want to live this long girl" he would say as his body shook with pain.  I just smiled and said "God is  not done with you yet Mr. Dooley."  "He would reply with I wish he would just hurry up."  As I heard these comments over and over and witnessed the pain Mr. Dooley was experiencing I could not help but to pray for him and ask God for His will to be done. As I prayed I knew God had a plan.  The final day I was blessed with his presence David said "how old are your kids?"  I replied "four and five"  He then said "I am going to get them a Christmas Present"  By saying this he was revealing his LOVE for children and his Caring heart.  The last thing I remember saying to him was "I am praying for you David!"  He replied with "I need it so keep doing it!"  I then said "I love you" and he said "I love you too your a good kid!" I am glad those were our final words!

Scott was one of Davids biggest companions.  He would come in and sit with Scott and laugh and complain about living to him as well.  Scott would offer laughs and comfort and talk with Mr. Dooley about Christs Love and Power.  He shared how if he would receive His Love than he could be redeemed. The one thing that David carried with him was all the "bad" things he had done in life.  He did not feel he was worthy of forgiveness.  He thought he was not worthy of redemption.  He would ask Scott "are you sure?  How do you know?"  Scott assured him of Gods word being divine, over and over again. I think one of the reasons he came here so often is because we would listen to him as he vented and cleared his mind.  We are thankful God allowed him to feel safe here.    

The Sunday before he passed Mr. Dooley sat at home and watched a sermon from the St. Paul United Methodist church on TV.  His wife said that as he listened to the preacher speak about salvation and prayer he put his head in his hands and rested his elbows on his knees and sat in silence for at least 30 minutes.  After he finished he got up and had a good day and passed the next day.  

The neat thing about this story is that GOD was not punishing Mr. Dooley, He was waiting for his 91 year old child to recieve His Grace to enter the thrownroom of Heaven!  I believe my dear friend is sitting at the feet of Jesus thanking Him for his Grace and Mercy and LOVE!  Thank you Lord for being patient with our dear friend.  David Dooley you will be missed but we know this was a bitter sweet goodbye!  Love ya!

Steph
AKA: The Good Kid!

 

1 comment:

  1. what a touching blog post. thank you for this Stephanie, you are so sweet to share his story. Its good to know that he touched your heart like he has my dads!

    ReplyDelete